The Pros and (Mostly) Cons of Upgrading to a 4K Monitor

I'm in the process of getting back into photography which will mean a new camera, more on that in a later post. But the first step for me was a new computer, one with the horsepower to handle a modern day camera and its RAW files. Along with the computer comes a new 4K monitor. 4K is great for media consumption, right? Your characters on your favorite show or movie really look detailed and realistic. Scenery looks wonderful. Everything looks great, right? Wrong. You know what doesn't look great? That photo I took in 2012 that I thought was sharp but is very much not. I transferred over my past catalogs of photos over to Lightroom Classic and eagerly began opening up some of my favorite photos. At first I was happy with how the colors looked and how the scene was composed. Then I noticed it was a little soft. Well I had just gotten a new contacts prescription so that must be it. Changed to my glasses and the photos were even blurrier! I went through photo after photo and most ca

Weekly Photo Projects, Week 30

Week 30: S-Curve
Streaking S-Curve
I'm late to posting this entry because I only shot this last night. I didn't know what I was going to shoot for +Weekly Photo Project 2013 and our theme of S-Curve, but I didn't want it to be an s-curve of a road or trail. Yeah, technically this is a road, but I'm hoping you'll overlook the road and concentrate on the streaks of light. The road wasn't quite busy enough to get all these streaks so I ended up layering three shots on top of each other to get it right. Shooting was easier done than I thought it would be. Set the camera in manual and adjust the aperture to f.13. The shutter I set on Bulb mode, which allows me to open and close the shutter as I see fit, and fixed the focus on the mid-part of the curve. Thanks to +Andrew Willard for bringing this feature to my attention. Then using my wired remote I opened the shutter just as the car enters the frame and close it as it exited. Exposures were as short as eighteen and as long as thirty-four seconds. Layering done in Pixelmator.

Week 30: Macro
Up Close
 For +Project 52 B&W our theme was Macro. I don't enjoy shooting macro shots for a couple reasons. First, I don't really have the equipment to shoot really good macro. I don't have a dedicated lens for it and my camera/lens combo doesn't offer a macro mode. And second I don't really "see" in macro. Which is part of reason to do projects like this in the first place, to experience something different. So I got as close as I could to the flower, which nicely filled the frame, but I wanted it to be more. So I aggressively cropped the shot, and in processing went overboard in the color version to get the middle part to pop more, knowing that it was be toned down once it got converted to B&W. All post processing done within Topaz Labs plugins, with the final conversion done in Black & White Effects 2.

You can view my Weekly Photo Project album here.
My black & white project album here.


Popular posts from this blog

The Pros and (Mostly) Cons of Upgrading to a 4K Monitor